November 14, 2008
The ceremony was hosted by RocKwiz personality Julia Zemiro and broadcast live on SBS, with Vince Colosimo, Marcus Graham, Sigrid Thornton, Leigh Whannell and Gracie Otto among the celebrity presenters.
Festival success story Men’s Group took out the Best Film Award for Michael Joy and John L Simpson, the Best Actor for Grant Dodwell and the prize for Best Script.
Queensland production Unfinished Sky took home the Best Director award for Peter Duncan and Best Actress for Dutch leading lady Monic Hendrickx. The film also scored the Best Production Design gong and the award for Best Editing.
Clunky statues were also awarded to Hugo Weaving, who was awarded the IF Award for Living Legend, and The Black Balloon, which won the Box Office Achievement award, for earning $2.2 million at the box office.
Other winners included:
* Independent Spirit Award: Benjamin Gilmour and Carolyn Johnson in the making of Son of a Lion. It also picked up the Dinosaur Designs IF Award for Best Music (Amanda Brown).
* Best Cinematography: September
* Best Documentary: The Burning Season
* Best Short Film: fOUR
* Best Animation: The Covenant of Mr Kasch
* Best Short Documentary:Undressing Vanessa
* Best Music Video: Just A Boy by Angus and Julia Stone
* Best Sound:The Square;
* Best Unproduced Screenplay: Kieran Darcy-Smith for Memorial Day
* Rising Talent: Leon Ford
The evening wrapped up with a splendiforous performance by Kate Miller-Heidike and an after party that included chocolate ice-creams and much air kissing.
TheVine was there to capture all the action. Obvs. Flick through our image gallery above to see the stars doing their thing on the red carpet.
Photos by Sam Allan.